Friday, January 9, 2009

And now for something completely different....

Diana Damrau singing the Queen of the Night aria from Mozart's Die Zauberflöte (The Magic Flute). It's definitive.

Part of what she's singing to her daughter: "The vengence of Hell boils in my heart; death and despair flame around me! If you do not cause Sarastro a painful death you will be my daughter no more! Outcast be forever, abandoned forever, destroyed forever be all ties of nature - if Sarastro be not blasted through you! Hear me, gods of vengence! Hear a mother's vow!"


If you think you don't like opera, just scroll on by... And don't worry. We'll be back to regular programming soon! :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The singing is quite amazing. But she sure does walk around a lot.

Ruffy said...

Brilliant! Seen this clip before!

Anonymous said...

The Magic Flute is one of my favorite operas - I have a ticket for the upcoming LA Opera production this month. When I go I'll be thinking of Ludwig (previous post) and Blue Jay (next post) as this aria is being sung. Thanks!

Koba said...

I'm really glad you guys liked this! Over the years, I have become quite an opera fan. We're going to NYC in March and will be seeing one opera at the Met.

Opera, now, to me is the 25-year-old single malt scotch of music.

Cheers!